Each year the National Council for International Visitors (NCIV) holds two Regional Meetings to provide an informal environment where participants may explore networking and training opportunities. These meetings focus on strengthening programming capabilities, developing management skills, and growing organizations. NCIV hosted its 2011 Midwestern Regional Meeting in Rapid City, South Dakota on August 24-26, attracting representatives of Councils for International Visitors, National Program Agencies and the Office of International Visitors, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State. IVC Detroit representatives Imke Baumann and Connie Hogan attended the meeting.
Highlights of the conference included:
- Concurrent and plenary sessions that provided excellent knowledge of U.S. public diplomacy and the U.S. Department of State’s International Visitor Leadership Program, understanding of current U.S. foreign policy and its impact on local communities, and how to strengthen the programming skills of NCIV members, their public sector partners, and other leaders in the field of international exchanges.
- Opening reception at Mount Rushmore with a presentation by the Hon. George McGovern.
- Dinner hospitality in the homes of volunteers in Rapid City.
- Excellent opportunities to network with colleagues.
- Optional trips to Historic Deadwood and the Black Hills.